Galveston Cruise Ship Accident Lawyers
The prospect of adventure and relaxation on the high seas attracts people of all walks of life, from young families to elderly couples. As cruise ship voyages have become more affordable, the number of individuals who choose cruise journeys as their vacation plans has skyrocketed. In 2018 alone, more than 28 million people took a cruise, with roughly half of them coming from North America. However, despite the allure and supposed safety of such voyages, life-changing injuries and mishaps can and do happen on cruises.
For instance, on December 20, 2019, A Carnival cruise ship trying to dock in Cozumel violently crashed into an already docked Carnival ship, injuring at least six passengers. While investigations into the collision are ongoing, several injured parties have already sought our firm’s legal representation. Our firm is fully prepared and equipped to represent anyone else injured onboard either of these ships.
From slips and falls on slippery decks to negligent medical care in the ship’s infirmary, there are a plethora of ways in which travelers are injured each year. These accidents can occur onboard the ship, while docked at port, or even while ashore. Claims involving these incidents deal with aspects of maritime law that are unique to luxury cruise lines. Because of these specifics, this field of law is highly specialized and is often dubbed “cruise ship law.”
Why do I need a cruise ship injury attorney?
If you or someone close to you has been injured during a cruise, you may be entitled to significant and meaningful financial compensation. In these cases, it is always highly recommended to seek the services of an experienced and qualified cruise ship personal injury attorney.
A knowledgeable cruise ship law attorney will be able to use his or her trial-tested experience to navigate the murky waters of maritime law and hold even the largest cruise ship line companies accountable for their actions.
For instance, what many people may not know is that special provisions of federal law allow cruise lines to have special statutes of limitations. This means that individuals under standard maritime law usually have three years after the incident to file a claim, passengers of cruise ships have only one year after their injury to file suit against the cruise line.
Common types of injuries and incidents on cruise ships
There are a variety of ways in which you and your loved ones can be injured or put in dangerous situations during a cruise. The following are just a few examples of the types of incidents that can occur:
- Slip and fall injuries—These injuries, which can include broken bones and head trauma, often occur when surfaces are wet, such as the deck of the ship. On rare occasions they can even cause a passenger to fall overboard and even go missing.
- Onboard issues and negligent operation—Injuries can occur when ships list, leaning strongly to one side or another and causing falls. Negligent operation of the vessel could also cause many issues, such as ship collisions, crashes, grounding, and occasionally even sinking of the ship.
- Recreational excursions on shore—Activities such as parasailing and horseback riding are often offered to passengers when ashore. Many serious or even fatal injuries can result from these excursions, such as vehicular accidents and drownings.
- Crime—For years now, sexual assault has been the most commonly reported crime reported by Americans on the high seas, making up 75% of all incidents. With a lack of law enforcement and the cruise line’s incentive to cover up incidents and protect their image, some of these assaults are committed by cruise employees, and many go unreported. Physical assaults, often fueled by alcohol, are common as well.
- Medical malpractice—Although most ships have infirmaries, their doctors are contractors and some may not be qualified to handle serious medical emergencies. Negligent practices and a failure to provide speedy surgery can cause lasting trauma.
- Food poisoning—Poor food preservation and preparation often leads to passengers developing a norovirus, a gastrointestinal disease that can be dangerous and extremely unpleasant.
- Fires—Fires on ships often spread quite fast, and they can be very dangerous because of the lack of opportunities for escape.
These are just a few of the cases we are prepared to handle and recover damages for, but a multitude of injuries and misfortunes can occur on a cruise ship. Many go unreported, and these issues are more common than cruise lines would like you to believe.
What should I do after suffering an injury on a cruise?
There are important steps that you can take in order to ensure the success of any future suit against a cruise company or employee. Your health should be your main concern, so you should seek medical care as soon as possible. Afterwards, you should take photographs of your injuries, ask any witnesses for their names and contact information, and report the incident to cruise personnel. Make sure to request a copy of the incident report for your own records. Often, your cruise ticket will list the jurisdiction for any lawsuits against the cruise line, and the fine print will specify the statute of limitations for filing a claim. Finally, you should contact an experienced maritime attorney who specializes in personal injury to discuss options and see if filing a claim is right for you.
Our reputation speaks for itself
At Mokaram Law Firm, our award-winning attorneys have over twenty-five years of experience fighting for and winning fair compensation for the citizens of the greater Houston area. Having recovered over one billion dollars in settlements for our clients, we have extensive experience protecting the rights and restoring the quality of life for those injured on cruise ships. With the Port of Galveston so close by, we have built up decades of valuable experience in representing injured parties in court.
If you or your loved one has been injured on a cruise ship and seek justice and compensation for the damages you have suffered, reach out to professionals equipped to take successful action on your behalf. We take pride in our award-winning lawyers and reputation for fighting tirelessly and winning beneficial verdicts for our clients. We are prepared to conduct a rigorous independent investigation and we employ some of the best expert witnesses in the country who can provide crucially valuable testimony in court.
To schedule a free-of-charge, completely confidential consultation, call the Mokaram Law Firm today at [phone number] or reach out to us online. Our attorneys are available 24/7 to hear your claim and start you on the path to justice.